Lamb Rogan Josh, a Kashmiri lamb curry that will melt in your mouth with an explosion of flavors. The best lamb for Rogan Josh would be the lamb shoulder. The lamb will be super tender and packed with flavors from Indian spices once you cook it. This dish looks incredible, but it is as easy to make as it can be. This lamb curry can easily pass as a restaurant-quality dish. Trust me, it will be a joy to eat, and you will love it.
The taste of the food largely depends on the quality of the ingredients. The show star is definitely, the lamb. It has a beautiful marbling of fat that will melt and infuse the dish with flavors. You don’t want your meat to be lean and blend. As for the spices, you will need common Indian spices and herbs. And, of course, GHEE. Or, Clarified Butter, which from my personal experience, is better than regular butter itself.
If you want to cook mutton instead of lamb, go for it. The recipe will work for Mutton Curry too. Mainly Rogan Josh is a Kashmiri dish, so the conversation of an authentic recipe always brings out the Kashmiri style. So it can be Kashmiri Lamb Rogan Josh or Kashmiri Mutton Rogan Josh, depending on your palate. But if you ask me, I go for a lamb most of the time.
Best Lamb for Rogan Josh: I can’t stretch out enough the importance of quality meat. Best Lamb for Rogan Josh would need an excellent combination of meat and fat marbling. Lamb’s shoulder is the best option according to me. It’s ultratender; it’s super juicy as it takes more time to cook. Do not pick any lean portion.
Spices: Who doesn’t love Indian spices! It is the flavor that will kick this dish! Most of the herbs are common Indian spices. Any supermarket will have these spices, and you should experience no trouble finding them.
Ghee: You can think of it as something that intensifies the flavors and carries them out throughout the curry. Ghee is the butter that has been melted and heated for some time. It is healthier than butter and, of course, tastier. Any Indian curry is incomplete without ghee. I can tell you one thing, curry without ghee doesn’t sound and taste Indian enough.
Authentic Lamb Rogan Josh Recipe
- Non-Stick Pan
- 3½ Tbsp Ghee Or Clarified Butter
- 1 Stick Cinnamon
- 6 Pieces Green Cardamom
- 4 Pieces Cloves
- 1 Piece Large onion, Finely Chopped
- 3 Pieces Garlic Cloves, Finely Minced
- 1 Tbsp Ginger, Finely Grated
- 5 Tbsp Tomato Passata Or Tomato Puree
- 1 Tsp Salt Or To Taste
- 750 Grams Lamb Shoulder Cut Into 3 cm Cubes
- 1.5 Cups Chicken Stock Or 375 ml
- 2 Tbsp Paprika
- 2/3 Tsp Chili powder Or To Taste
- 4 Tsp Ground Coriander
- 4 Tsp Ground Cumin
- 2 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- ¼ Tsp Nutmeg
- 1 Tsp Garam Masala
- ½ Tsp Fennel Powder
- ½ Cup Plain Yogurt
- Put your large, heavy pot in medium heat, melt some ghee, put cinnamon, cardamom, and cloves in it, and cook for a minute.
- Add onion and cook them for roughly 6 or 7 minutes until the onions turn golden brown. Put garlic and ginger in, cook for another minute. Stir all the spices up, give them a good mix for half a minute.
- Mix tomato puree and add salt. Add the stock and mix well. Do not add salt before. It will release the water content from the onion. We don't want that.
- Now is the time to add the lamb. Stir it so that the spices stick to it. Bring it to simmer. It is time to add the lid. Put the heat in low or medium-low and leave it to simmer. Slow cooking is the key here.
- Cook for an hour and 45 minutes. Give it an occasional stir and let the lamb be tender and soft. To check, you can use two forks and try to pry them apart. Remove the lid and cook well for another 15 minutes. By this time, the sauce amount will reduce, and the lamb should be tender. Add fennel seeds, yogurt, and extra garam masala and cook for some more minutes. And you just made delicious Lamb Rogan Josh.
- You want to garnish it with freshly chopped parsley or other garnishes.
- In case you are wondering what to serve with this Kashmiri lamb curry, serve it with something that balances the richness of this beautiful dish. Basmati rice is the usual option. Plain naan can also be an alternative. You need something that contrasts the heaviness and pungency of the curry. Salad goes well with Rogan josh. Usual cucumber salad is light, and it also goes well with rice.
- You might want to clean and rinse the lamb meat before using it. Make sure you pat it dry.
- For better taste, lean towards ghee. It has an intense flavor than regular butter. It is healthier.
- Try to find Indian Chili powder. It is hotter than ordinary chili powder, but it has an intense taste as well. If you can not find garam masala, try curry powder.
- If you can't find tomato passata or tomato puree, go with tomato sauce.
- The best lamb for Rogan Josh is the lamb shoulder. Try to avoid legs or any other parts that are lean. It will make your dish dry. Make sure you trim the excess fat but do not cut all of it; you need some taste.
- Slowly cook the lamb. Do not rush. Slow cook will make the lamb tender and juicy. It will also intensify the flavor and help it simmer.
- You might use the pressure cooker; it tenderizes the meat.